Nitrous Oxide- Sedation Dentistry in King West (Toronto), Burlington and St. Catharines!
Nitrous Oxide is a non-irritating, colorless, and sweet smelling gas which is perfectly fine to breathe. It is very safe to use and has been the primary form of sedation in dentistry practices for many years. The patient will receive mostly oxygen (50-70%) with no less than 30% nitrous oxide.
During the sedation period, the patient is fully able to breathe on their own and retain all bodily function and remain in control.
During this process, the patient may fall asleep and experience a mild form of amnesia. This will often help the patient as it makes things easier to undergo any type of procedure.
There are many advantages of using Nitrous Oxide in sedation density such as:
- The sedation can be altered at any time, meaning the depth of sedation can be increased, or lowered
- There is no ill feelings afterwards, meaning there is no “hangover”
- It is completely safe and will cause no issues to your heart or lungs
- It is very effective in minimizing gagging
- It starts to kick in almost immediately as within 20 seconds, the nitrous oxide will reach the brain and shortly after that, a feeling of relaxation and loss of pain will endure
However, there are some instances where Nitrous Oxide should not be used as a form of sedation. If you have been diagnosed with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), you should not use Nitrous Oxide as a sedation technique. Although there are no other major contraindications to using Nitrous Oxide, a patient may not want to use it if you are suffering from chest pains, M.S., emphysema, a cold or flu, or if you have difficulties breathing in general.
Five minute trials are available. Ask your dentist about one of these trials if you are curious about this method beforehand.
Martindale Dental provides both general and specialty dentistry under one roof. For more than 20 years, our dentists have been advocates for their patients oral health care needs. Our dental offices are conveniently located in King St West (Toronto), St Catharines, and Burlington, Ontario. We offer convenient appointments before or after work & on weekends.