What is Wisdom Teeth Extraction?
After wisdom tooth removal surgery
Things to think about regarding wisdom teeth removal
• Often your dentist will recommend you have your wisdom teeth removed even if they aren’t currently causing any pain or issues.
• Some people wisdom teeth grow in correctly and don’t cause any issues.
• Wisdom teeth removal is a standard procedure and is rarely harmful, but as with all surgery there is a slight risk involved.
• It is better to remove wisdom teeth early (when a person is in their late teens or early twenties) because the roots have not developed fully, and the jawbone is less dense. This makes for an easier procedure and faster recovery.
• Issues with wisdom teeth usually develop between the ages of 15-25. People in their 30’s will rarely develop unforeseen issues with their wisdom teeth.
• Rare but possible complications from wisdom teeth removal include dry socket, infection, bleeding and numbness.
It is recommended to be proactive and speak with your dentist about the condition of your wisdom teeth and whether it is in your best interest to have them removed. Our St. Catharines office has a wealth of experience with wisdom teeth and can help steer you in the right direction.
Conveniently Located In St. Catharines